Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sneaky Sloppy Joes

I have been cooking lately just not blogging.  So here goes my attempt to add some of my favorite recipes that we have tried and enjoyed over the last several months.  First, I want to share this yummy and easy recipe for sloppy joes.  I tried the Sneaky Chef's recipe for "Camouflage Joes," but felt that it was kind of bland for our tastes.  So, I consulted my old faithful Betty Crocker Cookbook and found a recipe for sloppy joes and decided to combine the seasonings of the Betty Crocker recipe with the Sneaky Chef recipe.  It was a successful experiment.  The Sneaky Chef recipe recommended ground turkey and called for white puree for added health benefit.  I added old-fashioned oats, seasonings such as worcestershire sauce, garlic and chili powder as well as chopped green pepper for flavor. 

I did have to make two versions:  the grown up version, pictured below, with large chunks of onion and green pepper and the picky husband/kid friendly version where I pureed the onion and green pepper which is pictured in the picture below.

Grown-up Sloppy Joe

Picky husband/kid friendly Sloppy Joe

For convenience, I made a double batch of this recipe and then froze individual servings of snack size bags which I then placed in a freezer bag.  Now when I need a quick lunch or dinner, I just have to thaw the number of servings that I need. 

Click here or on the title of this blog entry to get the entire recipe in a printable version.

Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. yummy love this...have a racheal ray recipe...and this looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make mine in the crock pot...just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete