Monday, August 3, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday


Welcome to my first edition of Kitchen Tip Tuesday. It is my goal to participate in this blog carnival weekly to share a kitchen tip as well as learn something new, too. Just click here to visit the home of Kitchen Tip Tuesdays and learn other kitchen tips.
So, here we go.
Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs-I don't like to eat the ends of our loaves of whole wheat bread because they tend to get stale. This makes my husband crazy, among other things. But, I found a solution to this problem. I throw the left-over whole wheat bread in the freezer. Then, when I have a little extra time at home, I will gather all the left-over bread to make bread crumbs. I dry them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees turning once to dry both sides of the bread. Then I throw them in the food processor to make bread crumbs that can then be stored in freezer bags. Now I have convenient and cheap whole wheat bread crumbs that can be used to make a family favorite, chicken tenders.
I plan on posting the links to Kitchen Tip Tuesdays under my "Sneaky Tip of the Week" section in the right column of my blog.
Please feel free to join the carnival and add your tips as well.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! I hate to see waste and am always looking for new ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! In our family, it's my daughter who, at 12, STILL removes her crusts, and both my husband and I who are driven crazy by it.

    Another thing I do is toss those crusts into a bread bag along with other old bread and freeze it until a day that we want to go feed the ducks at a nearby pond.

    But I like your bread crumb idea, so I will be using it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for putting my blog on your sidebar. You're the first person I know of who has done that. I feel like a celebrity now! ;)

    ReplyDelete