Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Purees . . .

Why use purees? *Sneak healthy ingredients into foods your kids and you will eat *Purees are more concentrated and nutrient dense *Can be made ahead to quickly sneak into food.

I have listed the puree recipes from the Sneaky Chef at the right of the blog. I will also place a list there for baby foods that can be used in place of purees.

I use the orange puree most often-it is especially easy to add to pre-made pasta sauce or chili. It is made with carrots and sweet potatoes. Simply boil until tender and then puree until smooth in food processor or blender with a little bit of water. I usually cook a large batch so that I have plenty of puree to freeze for later use. I store the purees in 1/4 cup portions in snack size storage bags. Some people freeze them in ice cube trays and then store in plastic freezer bags.

One of our favorite recipes is applesauce muffins. Seth eats these two at a time and asks for them for dinner. I think they are yummy, too! I usually make a double batch and freeze them. Then I am only 30 seconds in the microwave away from a delicious and healthy breakfast (or dinner).
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment